This was a
thoroughly redesigned MiG-15. Changes included absolutely
new 1,5% thinner wing with increaced sweep, a lengthened up to 8,805
m fuselage, increased tail surfaces (it's square became 3,1 m and sweep
reached 45 deg.), wider-track landing gear and ventral fin (added after
prototype tests). Also revised were airbrakes-their square both with flaps
became 2,86 m.Cockpit instrumentation improved.
Production was also undertaken in Poland (LIM-5), China (Jian-5) and
Czechoslovakia. The aircraft is used by at least 25 countries (Soviet-built
or Chinese J-5 fighters, JT-5 trainers).
During Vietnam war MiG-17 were used by North Vietnam AF against UASF
aircraft. Despite outdated, it was prefered by some Vienamese aces (Col.
Tomb) for its agility and powerful cannons. Indeed it was MiG-17's guns
that turned down 'missile only' fighters development in both USSR and USA.
||1*N-37 37mm gun
2*NS-23 23mm guns
- I-330/SI/MiG-15bis45 - first flight took place january
- SI-2 - the second prototype built
after the crash of I-330 (flatter of stabiliser).State trials- july 20
- SI-3- the third prototype:
- MiG-17P - limited all-weather version with the Isumrud
fixed-scan radar and 37mm cannon replaced with third 23mm one. VK-1 engine.
- Si-10- built in the end of 1954. Version with completely
new wing with flaps.
- MiG-17F - most produced version with an improved afterburning
VK-1 engine and variable nozzle
- MiG-17PF - all-weather interceptor version of the MiG-17F;
- MiG-17PFU - all-weather version with deleted guns and
four RS-1U (K-5) (ARS-212) beam-riding Air-to-Air missiles. 1953 ;
- MiG-17RF- reconnaissance version;
- MiG-17LL - flieing laboratory;
- I-340/SM-1 with 2 AM-5 engines;
- I-350/SI-16 with 2 TR-3 engines;
- SP-2 - another all-weather version with more powerful
- SR-2 - experimental tactical recco version with new engine;
- SN - experimental attack version;
- SP-11- serial MiG-17P modified for mountimg "Vstrecha-1"radar.
- SP-16- serial MiG-17PF modified for mountimg "ShM-60"
- MiG-17PF with "Globus-2" apparatus.
- MiG-17AS- serial version with S-21 rockets.
- Si-19- experimental plane with 190mm rockets.
- Si-21- experimental plane with ARS-212 rockets.
- Si-21M- experimental plane with ARS-212M rockets.
- MiG-17F- the plane modified for ARS-70 "Lastochka"
- SP-9- MiG-17PF N58210627 modified for mounting of ZP-6-Sh
"Vikhr'" cluster rocket launchers.
- SDK-5- the plane used for "Kometa" system trials.
- Yyakubovich N., 17th from MiG family, Krilya Rodini, N 3 (770),1995,
- Eyerman K.H., MiG-Flugzeug, Transpress, Berlin, 1986, p113-123
- Airplane MiG-17. Technical description. Vol 3
- Gordon Ye.I. In the shadow of elder brother/. Aviatsiya i vremia N4